Teaching Activity :
Have students design a new postage stamp commemorating one of the important figures in Canadian railway history. They will need to find a photo of the person selected to illustrate the stamp and prepare a short text introducing him.
The text should include the following information:
- The person’s name.
- The date and location of the person’s birth and death.
- The name of the railway company for which the person worked (there may be more than one).
- The person’s main achievements.
- A catchphrase that clearly summarizes the person’s achievements. For example: “From sea to sea.”
The postage stamp must contain:
- A photo or drawing of the person.
- A photo or drawing representing one of the person’s achievements.
- The monetary value of the stamp.
When the stamps are finished, they can be put on display (using large-size paper or cardboard) with the prepared texts serving as explanatory vignettes.